Friday, July 12, 2024

North Warren Art Students Exhibit Their Best

Art students at North Warren Regional High School brought out their best, as the school year closed, with more than a few of the artists pursuing their creative abilities after graduation.

Lyla Perez brings a bit of noir vibe to the art show. Photo by Joe Phalon.
Bridgette Meeks reflects on her work. Photo by Joe Phalon.
Alisia Garis and a friend. Photo by Joe Phalon.

In addition to the May 30 art show at the high school, a high point of the year was North Warren’s showing at the prestigious Mt. Olive Art Invitational, where several major scholarships were awarded.

This included Ciara D’Onofrio, who was awarded full tuition and room and board to Savannah College of Art and Design’s pre-college summer program; Marta Rozalski, winner of a $100,000 scholarship to Moore College of Art as well as a scholarship to William Paterson University; Madalyn Hawkswell, who was awarded a $100,000 scholarship to William Paterson University; and Brooke Salmon won a third place ribbon in the extremely competitive drawing category.

“North Warren students are phenomenal. I don’t know what it is,” said art teacher and advisor Kelly Laverde. “As soon as I started working here, I noticed a huge difference in these kids. They’re incredible.”

The students obviously produced the art featured at the show but they also produced the event themselves, Laverde said.

“They put the show together, they do everything,” Laverde said. “So it’s a really, really neat experience for them and for us to get to show off all the work they do all year.”

The show featured over 300 works by more than 40 students. Many different mediums were represented including oils and acrylics, pastels, drawing, computer graphics, AI-assisted art and wood and metalwork.

Joe Phalon
Joe Phalon, Contributing Writer

Joe was lured out of retirement by the opportunity to be a part of the Ridge View Echo. During a decades-long career in publishing and journalism, he has covered government on many levels from local school boards to the United States Supreme Court.

Along the way, Joe has worked at American Lawyer Magazine, The National Law Journal and The Record among other publications, and as the Press Officer of Columbia Law School. His work has been recognized with several first place awards from the Society of Professional Journalists and the New Jersey Press Association.

Being part of the Ridge View Echo brings Joe back to his roots and the kind of news coverage he loves: Telling the stories of people and local communities as well as keeping an eye on how their money is spent by their government officials.

Joe lives in Blairstown with his wife Rose, the founder of Quilting for a Cause, and their two wiener dogs. He is an artist in his spare time.