Friday, July 12, 2024

Frelinghuysen has “Triumphant Week,” Seeks New Board Member

The Frelinghuysen board of education enjoyed an unusual sight on March 6: the sight of a room so packed, they had to bring in additional chairs for seating.

Parents and students had come to celebrate a spate of good news at Frelinghuysen.

First, Jarlyn Veras, chief school administrator, noted the school’s observance of Read Across America Week. First organized in 1998 by the National Education Association to honor Dr. Seuss’ birthday and his impact on young readers, the national event celebrates books and literacy every year on March 2 through March 6.

Veras noted “a lot of fun activities,” assemblies, mystery readers and movie nights.

“It’s been a really special week so far,” she said.

Then Veras turned to the business that had drawn many families to the board meeting.

“Tonight, we are acknowledging many of our students who had a really triumphant week at Frelinghuysen School.”

First, Veras celebrated the students who had attended the Warren County Spelling Bee. Frelinghuysen placed second, third and eighth place.

Frelinghuysen also celebrated its chess team, which competed in the Warren County Consortium Chess Tournament for grades K through six at Rutherford Hall on March 5. The chess team placed second out of 10 teams.

Veras also extended her congratulations to the sixth grade all-star band, which recently participated in a county showcase.

The board called the students up to receive certificates of congratulations in front of the applauding crowd.

“Frelinghuysen is leaving a mark,” Veras told the students. “It’s really a testament to all the great things we do in this school. Keep up the good work!”

After the celebrations, board president Kimberly Neuffer reminded the assembled parents that Frelinghuysen’s board of education has an open vacancy and is actively seeking candidates to fill the position. Interested candidates should email her a letter of intent and resume to neuffer@frelinghuysenschool.org by March 15.

Qualified candidates will be invited to the next board meeting on March 20 for a “quick little interview,” after which the board will make its decision.

Veras playfully reminded the attentive children still present that they had to be over 18 in order to apply.

In more logistical news, Frelinghuysen will also conduct its annual chief school administrator evaluation. At the March 20 meeting, the pre-evaluation process will begin with Veras presenting evidence that the school has met its district goals under her leadership. Board members will work with the New Jersey School Boards Association over the next few months to complete the evaluation process.

Chip O'Chang
Chip O'Chang, Contributing Writer

Chip O'Chang is an educator, fiction writer, and lifelong resident of New Jersey. He has also written for My Life Publications and NJ Indy. He lives in the NJ Skylands with his partner, two cats, and and a bearded dragon.