Tuesday, July 16, 2024
EXPLORE MORE:

Notre Dame Boys Top Their Division

Dom Bojko goes head-to-head with North Warren. Photo by Joe Phalon.

The Notre Dame Spartans have earned a first-round bye in the upcoming tournament play after finishing 16-5 in the regular season. 

Head coach Matt Gallagher said that despite a challenging schedule, his team succeeded. 

“We played a lot of big schools,” Gallagher said. “Some of the teams we played were really good.”

He was particularly proud of the games against several 1A-level schools, he added. 

“I really think this makes these guys one of the best teams in the state,” he said. 

After running roughshod through their home state of Pennsylvania, Notre Dame faced off against North Warren Regional in a tradition rivalry, taking the nail-biter 49-47.

Gallagher credited the team’s cohesiveness this year as well as its ability to stick to the game plan but being nimble enough to pivot when necessary. 

He said the breadth of the team this year gave him a lot of latitude. 

“We’ve got a decent amount of upperclassmen and underclassmen,” Gallagher said. “I could start freshmen with this team.”

Xavier Spears, who scored 24 points against North Warren, 21 of which were three-pointers, has been one of the keys so far this year, Gallagher said. 

“He’s 91 points shy of the school record,” Gallagher said. “And he’s just learning to play the game. But he’s someone who is going to be good once he gets to the college level.”

On defense, Gallagher points to Jayden Freeman.

“Jayden plays great defense, pressing hard,” Gallagher said. “He does everything right.”

The Spartan’s first tournament game is scheduled for February 27, against a team to be named later. 

Joe Phalon
Joe Phalon, Contributing Writer

Joe was lured out of retirement by the opportunity to be a part of the Ridge View Echo. During a decades-long career in publishing and journalism, he has covered government on many levels from local school boards to the United States Supreme Court.

Along the way, Joe has worked at American Lawyer Magazine, The National Law Journal and The Record among other publications, and as the Press Officer of Columbia Law School. His work has been recognized with several first place awards from the Society of Professional Journalists and the New Jersey Press Association.

Being part of the Ridge View Echo brings Joe back to his roots and the kind of news coverage he loves: Telling the stories of people and local communities as well as keeping an eye on how their money is spent by their government officials.

Joe lives in Blairstown with his wife Rose, the founder of Quilting for a Cause, and their two wiener dogs. He is an artist in his spare time.