Friday, April 19, 2024

North Warren Regional Board of Education Reorg Meeting Launches 2024 on Positive Note  

• The next North Warren Regional School District board of education meeting will be on February 5 at 6 p.m. in the media center. Please see the North Warren Regional School District website for details and the agenda.

The North Warren Regional School District board of education met on January 8, 2024, in the school’s media center for their reorganization meeting at 6 p.m. 

Kristy Cook (Blairstown), April Fee (Hardwick) and Elizabeth Makatura (Blairstown) took the oath of office as newly elected board members. Potential new board member Cynthia Mardin (Frelinghuysen), though present, was not sworn in due to missing paperwork. Mardin will be sworn in at the next regularly scheduled board meeting.

Taylor Casey was unanimously elected by the board as the new president of North Warren Regional’s board of education. 

New Board President Taylor Casey takes charge of her first meeting. Photo by: C. Tamulonis, 01/2024.
New board president Taylor Casey takes charge of her first meeting. Photo by: C. Tamulonis, 01/2024.

“North Warren is a place I hold near and dear to my heart, being able to serve and volunteer in the capacity of a board member has been an honor,” said Casey. “Taking on the new officer position as president is something I feel very lucky to be able to do.” 

“I hope to continue to help guide our board forward as we navigate being continually underfunded and work to accomplish our district’s goals,” Casey said, addressing cuts in state funding. “I feel very confident in our administration to continue to lead our students, faculty and staff to greatness as they work tirelessly to overcome challenges daily. I know our school is in the very best hands and feel lucky to bear witness to it.”

Casey takes over for outgoing board president John Nause, who served for eight years during some of the most challenging times for the school.

Standing board member Jessica Wood-Russo was unanimously elected as the vice president. 

North Warren Regional board members serve three-year terms and officers (president, vice president) serve one-year terms until the next vote at the annual reorganization meeting. You can see all North Warren Regional board polices here.

Both new and old members had a lengthy list of reorganization motions to tackle, including budgetary, staff and facility items. You can find that list in the agenda of the January 8 meeting here.

Cybele Tamulonis
Cybele Tamulonis, Contributing Writer

Cybele is a writer and editor with more than 16 years in the publishing industry. An avid reader, you can usually find her with the latest new book release from the local library. She currently resides on a farm in Hardwick with her husband and four children. In her spare time, she writes historical fiction specific to New Jersey.