Friday, April 19, 2024

Frelinghuysen School in Full Holiday Mode

Frelinghuysen Township School held its last board of education meeting on Wednesday, December 13. Photo by C. O’Chang.

‘Tis the season to be jolly at Frelinghuysen Township School, which plans to close 2023 in festive style.

“We are in full holiday mode at Frelinghuysen School,” said Chief School Administrator Jarlyn Veras at the December 13 board of education meeting. “It’s just a special time for the entire school community.” 

The school kicked off its holly-and-candy-cane season with the annual tree lighting ceremony. 

It was an “intricate” event that included stations, activities, treats and a visit from Santa, courtesy of the Frelinghuysen Fire Department. The event drew not only current students and their families, but school alumni from years past and community members. 

“We had a really good turnout,” Veras said. “So that was really magical for students.”

She thanked Trooper “Brown Bear” Cabrera-Bonilla, Mayor Ramos, Frelinghuysen’s fire department, the PTO and the other parents who contributed to the event’s organization.

Frelinghuysen students gave their own holly jolly performances in two school concerts. Students in Pre-K through third grade held their concert on Friday, December 8, in a performance that drew enthusiastic reviews from the board members. 

“It’s one of those things where you get goosebumps,” Veras said.

With about 60 students performing, school staff had prepared 170 seats to accommodate parents and perhaps a few relatives. On the night of the performance, every seat was filled, and some attendees had to stand. 

“It was a beautiful event… absolutely over the top,” Veras said. 

The concert for grades four through six took place after the board meeting on Thursday, December 14. At the time of the meeting, board members looked forward to the older students’ performance with eager anticipation. 

Frelinghuysen will close out 2023 with Spirit Week, which will include a movie day, gifts and even a teachers’ trivia competition that in previous years has seen students cheering for their chosen favorites in the hallways. The week will end with a half-day on Friday, December 22, followed by winter break. Classes resume in the new year on Tuesday, January 2. 

Board members present looked forward to the times ahead.

As Veras said, “There’s just this magic in the air.”

Chip O'Chang
Chip O'Chang, Contributing Writer

Chip O'Chang is an educator, fiction writer, and lifelong resident of New Jersey. He has also written for My Life Publications and NJ Indy. He lives in the NJ Skylands with his partner, two cats, and and a bearded dragon.