Ask your local candidate a question.

Tuesday, May 28, 2024

No Injuries as Student Pilot’s Plane Veers Off Runway

No one was injured when a plane bounced off the runway of Blairstown Airport Monday morning.

Blairstown Police Chief Scott Johnsen said the plane, a single-engine Cessna 172N being flown by a student pilot, hit the ground too hard while landing, breaking off the front wheel. This caused the aircraft to roll to one side, resulting in a wing making contact with the ground.

The plane came to a stop a few feet off the runway during the November 20 incident.

A flight instructor was also in the plane.

Johnsen said the airport was closed for about one hour. Blairstown Fire Co. No. 1 responded to the minor crash along with the Blairstown Ambulance Corps.

The National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration are investigating the incident.

Joe Phalon
Joe Phalon, Contributing Writer

Joe was lured out of retirement by the opportunity to be a part of the Ridge View Echo. During a decades-long career in publishing and journalism, he has covered government on many levels from local school boards to the United States Supreme Court.

Along the way, Joe has worked at American Lawyer Magazine, The National Law Journal and The Record among other publications, and as the Press Officer of Columbia Law School. His work has been recognized with several first place awards from the Society of Professional Journalists and the New Jersey Press Association.

Being part of the Ridge View Echo brings Joe back to his roots and the kind of news coverage he loves: Telling the stories of people and local communities as well as keeping an eye on how their money is spent by their government officials.

Joe lives in Blairstown with his wife Rose, the founder of Quilting for a Cause, and their two wiener dogs. He is an artist in his spare time.