Tuesday, February 20, 2024

North Warren Art Students Awarded Top Scholarship

Freshman Brooke E. Salman with her white charcoal rendering of “In Dust Light.” Photo by J. Phalon, 5/2023

The art program at North Warren Regional High School wrapped up the year with its annual presentation of work by student artists May 25th.

The just-concluded school year was marked with the announcement of several significant scholarships that were awarded to three North Warren students. They were among the winners at the Mount Olive Art Invitational earlier this year.

Nya Gillen with a work she created during the May 25th art show. Photo by J. Phalon, 5/2023

Ryan Torsiello, a junior, was awarded a scholarship totaling $96,000 to the art school at the University of Hartford.

Senior Rachel Defino was awarded a $20,000 scholarship to the Moore College of Art and Design in Philadelphia. And junior Samantha Johnston received a full scholarship to the Savannah College of Art and Design pre-college summer program.

Sophomore Lyla Perez steps into her painting, “The Lounge.” Photo by J. Phalon, 5/2023

North Warren art teacher Kelly LaVerde said the program at the school is growing stronger each year with increasing numbers of underclassmen being recognized for their work.

“The level that some of these students work at is phenomenal,” LaVerde said.

She added that North Warren’s middle school program is preparing students well for high school-level work.

Joe Phalon
Joe Phalon, Contributing Writer

Joe was lured out of retirement by the opportunity to be a part of the Ridge View Echo. During a decades-long career in publishing and journalism, he has covered government on many levels from local school boards to the United States Supreme Court.

Along the way, Joe has worked at American Lawyer Magazine, The National Law Journal and The Record among other publications, and as the Press Officer of Columbia Law School. His work has been recognized with several first place awards from the Society of Professional Journalists and the New Jersey Press Association.

Being part of the Ridge View Echo brings Joe back to his roots and the kind of news coverage he loves: Telling the stories of people and local communities as well as keeping an eye on how their money is spent by their government officials.

Joe lives in Blairstown with his wife Rose, the founder of Quilting for a Cause, and their two wiener dogs. He is an artist in his spare time.