Friday, April 12, 2024

Easter Eggs and Spring Fairies were Plentiful in Blairstown

The BUNNY family outside the Gourmet Gallery, April 8th. Photo by MB Journe, 4/2023

April brought magical days to the quaint town of Blairstown, Beginning with the Easter Egg Hunt sponsored by North Warren Special Education on April 4th, followed by a breakfast cooked by the students and served at the Evangelical Free Church of Blairstown.

On April 8th, Main Street had fairy dust in the air, as the sun illuminated springtime. The Easter Bunny was sitting in a wicker chair thrown on the porch of the Gourmet Gallery drinking a cup of Easter “EGG-spresso.”

There was an Easter egg hunt “EGG-stravaganza” and photos were taken with the Easter Bunny as an air of “EGG-citement” permeated the crowd while finding colorful eggs filled with candy and toys.

Everyone enjoyed the visit from the Easter Bunny.

Further down the bunny trail was the clamor and glamor of a Fairy Fest held at the Strange Boutique.

These beautiful, friendly fairies sold handcrafted jewelry, clothing, beauty products and decorations in front of the store and throughout.

Satilia Flores wearing her one-of-a-kind fiber art clothing posing with her butterfly daughter Lily. Photo by MB Journe, 4/2023

Colorful flower halos and handmade items by Taylor the book fairy. Photo by MB Journe, 4/2023
Book Fairy at the Falls. Photo by MB Journe, 4/2023

From toddlers in strollers to kids in 5th grade, happy hunters had their baskets and bags in hand at the North Warren Regional High School. The front field was covered in a blanket of eggs, pink, yellow and green, the most some had ever seen.

The Knol family, mom Tara with Colton, Tyler and Henry ready for the great hunt. Photo by G. Conski, 4/2023

As the start time approached, the excitement rose. The children were getting set and finally ready to GO! They charged off filling their baskets and bags with eggs.

Some gathered as many as they possibly could, while others were more specific and picked only their favorite colors.

The hunt was soon over. The children and parents returned their plastic eggs in exchange for prizes. As they waited, music played and the Bunny hopped on by for family photo ops.

Nick Licatta hands out the prize eggs. Photo by G. Conski, 4/2023
L-R: Diela Voorhees, Kylee Gillen, Faith Leverett and Alasna Shramko on hand to help. Photo by G. Conski, 4/2023
L-R: Emi “Oliver” Carinci, Kelly McElroy and Alecksandria Birey ran the bake sale table. Photo by G. Conski, 4/2023

That event was sponsored by the Blairstown Rotary Club (www.blairstownrotary.org) and the North Warren Regional Interact Club, the mission of which is to “take action, build international understanding, and make new friends around the world,” enabling kids between the ages of 12 and 18 to come together to practice leadership skills and be of service to others via volunteering by creating and carrying out community service projects.

Last year’s proceeds from events went to Happiness is Camping (www.happinessiscamping.org), located in Hardwick. This camp is for kids with cancer and sickle cell anemia, as well as their siblings and families. This recreational camp is free. It is a place for the children to put aside their worries and enjoy fun summer activities.

All those interviewed agreed the Blairstown Rotary and the North Warren Regional Interact Club put on an “EGG-ceptional” community event.

Yelens Choban
MB Journe, Contributing Writer

MB has been a resident of Frelinghuysen for the past 22 years. She lives in an old farmhouse on the side of the road. She enjoys the simple life, puttering in her flower garden, practicing Qi Gong under her redbud tree, or creating art on the deck.
MB's experience as a journalist began when her son was quite young, she began writing for The Paulinskill Valley Chronicle, often bringing him to work with her. Her responsibilities were writing articles with photos, selling ads, and billing. This suited her, as a single mother not wanting to be separated from her small child.

She considers herself a lover of nature, often seen photographing its beauty. She has worked as a seasonal employee of YMCA Camp Mason for the past 17 years. She is a teacher and mentor of children, always emphasizing the YMCA’s core values - caring, honesty, respect and responsibility. She tries to listen carefully to each individual she interviews, getting their viewpoint. That is why she likes to write about the interesting people and places that make Warren County such a nice place to live.