Ask your local candidate a question.

Monday, June 24, 2024

Lobo Mixed Martial Arts Academy, 187 Route 94 (Fountain Mall), Blairstown

Colleen & Adrian Luna. Photo by MB Journe, Nov. 2022

Six months ago, Adrian and Colleen Luna opened LOBO MMA, mixed martial arts academy, for adults, teens and children. Located at 187 Route 94 in the Fountain Mall, Blairstown Adrian has been teaching mixed martial arts since 2008.

They offer professional mixed martial arts, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, which is martial arts based on grappling and fighting, focusing on the skill of controlling one’s opponent through techniques that force him or her to submit. Some people learn Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for a physical fitness work out. Some train for competitive matches held throughout the year. Children’s classes in Jui Jitsu are offered.

“This is a great work out for couples, the couple who train together stay together” Luna remarks.

The couple met during their teens when they were learning Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at Pure Mixed Martial Arts in Denville from Andrew and Michael Main. They developed a lasting friendship training and competing together and eventually married and purchased a home in Blairstown.

“This community has been so supportive; they love the mom-and-pop shops and word of mouth has helped us build this business.” Colleen Luna said enthusiastically.

LOBO MMA offers self-defense training for men, women, and children. They work hard to maintain a safe, ego-free environment where students from all backgrounds can train with confidence.

“When I was a kid, I got beat up a lot. One time, five kids ganged up on me, held me down and took my lunch money. I went home with a black eye. That’s when my parents signed me up for Taekwondo. I got my black belt at 12 years old and started practicing mixed martial arts. It has always been my passion to someday open my own place.” Luna said.

LOBO MMA offers Kickboxing. This training provides a comfortable environment where students can learn how to defend themselves and tone up.

They have Yoga classes with Kate and Karate classes with Mike. For December they are offering new members a free month of Kickboxing.

To take the first step, call them at #862-258-6181 or visit their website – https://lobomma.com/

Whether your goal is to take on self-defense skills, fitness training, or long-lasting character development for you or your child, LOBO MMA can set you on the right path.

Yelens Choban
MB Journe, Contributing Writer

MB has been a resident of Frelinghuysen for the past 22 years. She lives in an old farmhouse on the side of the road. She enjoys the simple life, puttering in her flower garden, practicing Qi Gong under her redbud tree, or creating art on the deck.
MB's experience as a journalist began when her son was quite young, she began writing for The Paulinskill Valley Chronicle, often bringing him to work with her. Her responsibilities were writing articles with photos, selling ads, and billing. This suited her, as a single mother not wanting to be separated from her small child.

She considers herself a lover of nature, often seen photographing its beauty. She has worked as a seasonal employee of YMCA Camp Mason for the past 17 years. She is a teacher and mentor of children, always emphasizing the YMCA’s core values - caring, honesty, respect and responsibility. She tries to listen carefully to each individual she interviews, getting their viewpoint. That is why she likes to write about the interesting people and places that make Warren County such a nice place to live.