Friday, April 19, 2024

Blair Buccaneers Scrimmage with Newark Academy and Lawrenceville School

Blair Academy hosted a three-school scrimmage Sept. 3 with Newark Academy and the Lawrenceville School.

The Saturday morning round-robin was the lead-in to the Buccaneers’ first regular season game Friday, Sept. 6, against the Kiski School of Saltsburg, Pennsylvania, at 7 p.m.

Blair will then be on the road through Pennsylvania for the next three weeks, playing William Penn Charter School in Philadelphia on Sept. 17, Germantown Academy in Fort Washington on Sept. 24 and Episcopal Academy in Newtown Square Sept. 30.

The Buccaneers return to their home field Oct. 8 to face the Hun School of Princeton.

Playing in the Mid-Atlantic Prep League, the Bucs are led by Head Coach Greg Bowman, in his fourth year after having served as defensive coordinator.

Before his arrival at Blair, Bowman was the defensive back coach at Misericordia University for three seasons, where he was also worked with special teams. Bowman also coached for 12 years at Pleasant Valley High School in Brodheadsville, Pennsylvania, 11 defensive coordinator.

Blair has fielded a football team since 1884.

Joe Phalon
Joe Phalon, Contributing Writer

Joe was lured out of retirement by the opportunity to be a part of the Ridge View Echo. During a decades-long career in publishing and journalism, he has covered government on many levels from local school boards to the United States Supreme Court.

Along the way, Joe has worked at American Lawyer Magazine, The National Law Journal and The Record among other publications, and as the Press Officer of Columbia Law School. His work has been recognized with several first place awards from the Society of Professional Journalists and the New Jersey Press Association.

Being part of the Ridge View Echo brings Joe back to his roots and the kind of news coverage he loves: Telling the stories of people and local communities as well as keeping an eye on how their money is spent by their government officials.

Joe lives in Blairstown with his wife Rose, the founder of Quilting for a Cause, and their two wiener dogs. He is an artist in his spare time.