Ask your local candidate a question.

Saturday, June 15, 2024
EXPLORE MORE:

Pope John scores 16-6 against Immaculate Conception

Pope John beat Immaculate Conception 16-6 with this kind of defensive pressure.

Pope John XXIII Regional High School football in Sparta opened its season with a 16-6 win over Immaculate Conception High School of Montclair. The non-league home game opened with two first-half field goals by sophomore Tylik Hill, first for 29 yards, and the second for 42 yards. They were followed by a 12-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Christopher Dietrich to Wesley Johnston, with a Jack Morgese extra point. The Lions sealed the victory in the second half with one more Hill field goal. Pope John next faces Seton Hall Prep at SHI Stadium at Rutgers University in Piscataway Sept. 3. Photos by Joe Phalon

Wesley Johnston dives under a defender in Pope John’s 16-6 victory

Sir-Paris Jones of Pope John dives to stop the rush
Joe Phalon
Joe Phalon, Contributing Writer

Joe was lured out of retirement by the opportunity to be a part of the Ridge View Echo. During a decades-long career in publishing and journalism, he has covered government on many levels from local school boards to the United States Supreme Court.

Along the way, Joe has worked at American Lawyer Magazine, The National Law Journal and The Record among other publications, and as the Press Officer of Columbia Law School. His work has been recognized with several first place awards from the Society of Professional Journalists and the New Jersey Press Association.

Being part of the Ridge View Echo brings Joe back to his roots and the kind of news coverage he loves: Telling the stories of people and local communities as well as keeping an eye on how their money is spent by their government officials.

Joe lives in Blairstown with his wife Rose, the founder of Quilting for a Cause, and their two wiener dogs. He is an artist in his spare time.