Ask your local candidate a question.

Monday, June 17, 2024

Blairstown Farmers’ Market Offers SNAP Tokens & Good Food Bucks

Blairstown Farmers Market Encourages SNAP Program Participants

The Blairstown Farmers’ Market strives to make fresh, healthy food available to all. They welcome SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) users.

Petra from Kimball’s Organic Farms shows healthy greens available every Saturday at the Blairstown Farmers’ Market. / Photo by MB Journe, 2022

New Jersey’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, NJ SNAP, provides food assistance to families, individuals and college students with low incomes and/or disabilities to help them buy groceries through an EBT benefits card.

The Farm Market Manager (under the red umbrella) will debit EBT cards for the amount desired and distribute the necessary tokens.

Thanks to a generous grant, the Foodshed Alliance, who runs the Market, is offering up to $20 in Good Food Bucks extra to help stretch buying power for healthy fresh fruits and veggies.

Good Food Bucks from the Blairstown Farmers’ Market / Photo by D.L. Dunn, 2022
Yelens Choban
MB Journe, Contributing Writer

MB has been a resident of Frelinghuysen for the past 22 years. She lives in an old farmhouse on the side of the road. She enjoys the simple life, puttering in her flower garden, practicing Qi Gong under her redbud tree, or creating art on the deck.
MB's experience as a journalist began when her son was quite young, she began writing for The Paulinskill Valley Chronicle, often bringing him to work with her. Her responsibilities were writing articles with photos, selling ads, and billing. This suited her, as a single mother not wanting to be separated from her small child.

She considers herself a lover of nature, often seen photographing its beauty. She has worked as a seasonal employee of YMCA Camp Mason for the past 17 years. She is a teacher and mentor of children, always emphasizing the YMCA’s core values - caring, honesty, respect and responsibility. She tries to listen carefully to each individual she interviews, getting their viewpoint. That is why she likes to write about the interesting people and places that make Warren County such a nice place to live.