Monday, March 4, 2024

BES Renamed Library After a Long-term, Dedicated Administrator

Saturday June 11 th 2022, The Blairstown Elementary School Library was renamed to “The Michael Feeney Library.”

Touched by this gesture of appreciation and the many attendees who consisted of his faculty, past and present, extended family and the public, Michael Feeney spoke proudly of the many programs that he started inside the library.

Feeney family watches the dedication / Photo by RVE Editorial Staff. June 2022

Feeney reminisced about the Science Fairs where many volcanoes exploded in the library, the school store, and other library programs teaching speech, reading and math. He boasted about the day an astronaut came and talked with the children as well as the many luncheons and meetings all held in the library.

Gracious & humorous, Feeney spoke at his dedication. / Photo by RVE Editorial Staff, June 2022

Feeney was born and raised in Northeast Pennsylvania coal country. He graduated from the Taylor-Moosic High School in Taylor, Pennsylvania in 1963.

In 1965, he was drafted into the army and served in the Vietnam War. Feeney was awarded the Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster for wounds received in action. He was also awarded the Combat Infantry Badge, Vietnamese Service Medal, Vietnam Campaign Medal, and the Army Commendation Medal for meritorious service.

Upon his return to civilian life, Feeney earned a Bachelor of Science degree from East Stroudsburg State College in 1971. In September of that year, Feeney joined the Blairstown Elementary School faculty, where he remained for 37 years.

He attended Lehigh University at night and on weekends, graduating with a master’s degree in Education Administration.

Throughout 80’s Feeney held various administrative positions including Title 1 Coordinator, Director of Curriculum, Assistant Principal and School Principal in 1990. He remained principal for 13 years until becoming Superintendent from 2003 to 2008.

Crowd applauds dedication of the Michael Feeney Library / Photo by RVE Editorial Staff, June 2022

Feeney’s speech was gracious and funny. He thanked many of his colleague’s, including his secretary who he playfully described as his Radar O’Reilly from the hit TV show ‘Mash’. The Library Dedication was uplifting and concluded with refreshments.

Yelens Choban
MB Journe, Contributing Writer

MB has been a resident of Frelinghuysen for the past 22 years. She lives in an old farmhouse on the side of the road. She enjoys the simple life, puttering in her flower garden, practicing Qi Gong under her redbud tree, or creating art on the deck.
MB's experience as a journalist began when her son was quite young, she began writing for The Paulinskill Valley Chronicle, often bringing him to work with her. Her responsibilities were writing articles with photos, selling ads, and billing. This suited her, as a single mother not wanting to be separated from her small child.

She considers herself a lover of nature, often seen photographing its beauty. She has worked as a seasonal employee of YMCA Camp Mason for the past 17 years. She is a teacher and mentor of children, always emphasizing the YMCA’s core values - caring, honesty, respect and responsibility. She tries to listen carefully to each individual she interviews, getting their viewpoint. That is why she likes to write about the interesting people and places that make Warren County such a nice place to live.